Sunday, August 16, 2009

Technical Writer Sue Elvins

Sue Elvins MBA B.A. BSMIS is an "outside the box" type person. She is the owner of A Page Or 2 (www.Apageor2.com) and a technical writer based in Iowa. Her education is impressive and consists of an MBA in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems. She is currently pursuing a Doctorate of Business Administration emphasis Management. Sue, thank you for joining us today at Writers in Business.

~ You have been described as a “Technical writer of web software, technical issues, financial and other business matters.” Can you tell us more about your technical writing? Where can we find your work?

For the past 20 years, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly) is a motto I believe as a business owner and as a technical writer whether it be writing a new how to article or posting a fantastic article and giving them credit. When writing, I use that motto as it is easier explaining reference material especially to others that had very little knowledge of a topic. My work can be found at www.apageor2.com, www.breastcancerrx.com, and www.ravenshollow.com.

~ How did you get your start in this field?

A few things got me involved, 1) there were persons who needed the help as they were having difficulty in locating the information and I could provide it. 2) The cancer information is entirely educational based. I have stressed if anyone feels there is a concern regarding symptoms, a professional doctor needs to be seen and there is a directory available to find the nearest clinic. 3) The last site explains information for small business in detail and contains links on each page for further assistance.

~ Do you find most of your clients through referrals?

I have gotten clients through referrals and persons that have gone to the web site through the search engine.

~ I’m interested in learning more about Ravens Hollow Business Network. This is listed as “the place for virtual assistants, technical writers, transcriptionists and work at home information.” What is your goal with this network? How can we join?

It is a free web site currently. I am also building a new capability on it for paid advertising so small business owners can place ads on the web site and build traffic for this site and their own. Eventually, what I would like to do with Ravens Hollow is make it so RH is something that is career based for small business owners so if they are looking for quick help, they can come to me, put in an advertisement and I'll be able to help them. This is something in the works but I want to keep it so this is telecommute based and small business based. I believe in corporations but to be honest, the only way the economy will be built back up again is to increase small business. Lastly, there are multiple persons who are unable to work in the office for one reason or the other be it medical, physical, disabled, or a mom that wants to stay home with her children. I feel that RH is going to be the answer and I am going to do whatever I can to make it happen for the employer and employee.

To learn more about Sue's technical writing and her passion for helping small business owners, please visit her web sites.